Skip to content

Marriage in Denmark

If you are planning to marry in Denmark you need to follow the guidelines listed below.

According to the Danish Marriage Act of 1969, and rules prescribed by the Danish Ministry of Justice, the following documents and declaration are required in order to be married in Denmark:

  1. Birth certificate and valid passport, note: If your name has been legally changed since the issuance of your birth certificate or passport, you should present an official court decree to this effect.
  2. If one of the parties is under 18, permission to marry must be obtained from the proper administrative authorities (in Copenhagen the "Overpraesidium"/The Prefect of Copenhagen and outside Copenhagen the prefect of the county within which the parties are residing).
  3. If one of the parties is under 18, and has not been previously married, evidence must be presented that the parents consent to the marriage.
  4. If one of the parties is under guardianship, documentation of the guardian's consent to the marriage must be presented.
  5. A declaration must be given to the effect that neither of the parties is related to the other by blood, through marriage or through adoption.
  6. If either of the parties has been previously married, proof must be submitted that such marriage has been dissolved. If a marriage has been dissolved in a foreign country, the "Overpraesidium" requires that the decree of divorce or annulment clearly shows that it is a final decree, that no appeal has been filed, and that the parties are free to remarry. If not, the "Overpraesidium" will demand that a statement to that effect be obtained by the party concerned from the appropriate court in the county where the marriage was dissolved. A statement from an American attorney as to the finality of the divorce is not normally accepted. This practice is strictly adhered to. If the previous marriage was terminated by death, a death certificate or a probate court certificate must be presented. Also in the case of previous marriage evidence must be submitted that all community property, if any, has been legally divided. If the marriage is taking place in Copenhagen, divorce papers or death certificate must be forwarded to "Overpraesidium", Hammerensgade 1, DK-1267 Copenhagen K, phone +45 33 12 23 80, for approval before you come to Copenhagen.
  7. Each party must declare whether he or she has any natural or adopted children, or is expecting children by another man or woman.
  8. The Copenhagen Marriage Office advises that the parties should plan to stay within the city limits at least 14 days.
  9. Upon marriage, women retain their maiden name. Both parties may however, notify the Marriage Authority that he/she after the marriage and with the other part's consent, wishes to adopt the other's surname or his/hers married name, unless that the name has been acquired in connection with a previous marriage.

The above declarations are all contained in a form which may be obtained at the Marriage Office/"Bryllupskontoret", City Hall, Raadhuspladsen, DK-1599 Copenhagen V, Denmark, phone +45 33 66 23 34. "Bryllupskontoret" in the city where the marriage is to take place, will furnish additional information as may be needed.

Both parties are personally to sign their own form. One party cannot sign on behalf of the other, not even under a power of attorney. It is emphasized in the form that anyone making a false statement, or concealing a material fact in connection with the completion of the form is subject to the penalties prescribed in the Danish Penal Code for such an offence, ranging from a fine to 4 months’ imprisonment.