Skip to content

Obtaining Danish Documents

Here you will find information about obtaining official Danish documents.

Danish Birth Certificate

A copy of a Danish birth certificate cannot be obtained through a Danish diplomatic mission.

If you require a copy of a Danish birth certificate you must contact either the church in Denmark, where your birth was registered or the parish your last residential address in Denmark belonged to.

If you do not know where your birth was registered or which parish you belonged to, then contact the Ministry of Ecclesiastical Affairs in Denmark. Make sure to include all the information you have about your birth.

Frederikholms Kanal 21
Postboks 2123
1015 Copenhagen

Tel. +45 33 92 33 90
Fax +45 33 92 39 13

The copy of your birth certificate will not be mailed directly to you. You must nominate a Danish authority (Danish diplomatic mission or a Danish church) from which you can collect it. Upon collection you must present photo ID (passport or drivers licence).

Criminal Record

To obtain a copy of your Danish criminal record you must contact the Police Commissioner in Denmark directly. Danish citizens and foreigners, who wish to obtain a copy of their Danish criminal record should contact the Danish Police Commissioner at the following address:

Danish National Police (“Rigspolitiet”)
Centre for General Law
Polititorvet 14
DK - 1780 Copenhagen V
Phone:+45 35 21 62 22
Fax:+45 31 21 02 20 og

You can send your request to the Police Commissioner either by letter, mail or fax and please remember to include the following:

  • Your name, address and signature on letter/fax.
  • Your latest residential address in Denmark.
  • Your Civil Registration Number (CPR-number) if applicable.
  • Language you wish the certificate to be issued in.
  • Complete address to which certificate should be sent.
  • Copy of relevant passport pages with your name, date of birth, birthplace etc.

The certificate of criminal record is free of charge.

A citizen residing abroad may request a private criminal record certificate either by completing the Police form for obtaining a criminal record certificate for private use(only in Danish), which can be downloaded from the website of the police or by forwarding a personal letter setting out the above-mentioned information.  If the request is forwarded by e-mail, the application form/the signed letter as well as a copy of the passport page holding photo and signature must be scanned and attached to the e-mail (so that the original signature is visible).

If the applicant has NEM-ID, he/she can order his/her criminal record digitally on